italian stuffed meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork, lean
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls, about 12 to 15 of small size
- 1 28-ounce jar tomato sauce
- Submarine-style buns
- In large bowl, combine whisked eggs, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Add ground pork and breadcrumbs and mix together until evenly combined.
- Form ground pork mixture into small meatballs, each the size of a golf ball.
- Insert mozzarella ball in center of each meatball, taking care to re-form meatball around cheese once it’s been added. (The cheese should not be visible.)
- Place tomato sauce in bottom of slow cooker and add meatballs on top. Turn slow cooker on and cook over high heat for 6 hours or low heat for 8 hours. Carefully rotate meatballs after half the cooking time to make sure they cook evenly. To serve, place three meatballs plus sauce in submarine bun.
Quick Tip: Try substituting regular breadcrumbs with equal amounts of panko bread crumbs, or any kind of pasta or red sauce available.
Servings: 4 to 5