- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour, or finely ground oats
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia flavor or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely diced candied orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" square cake pan.
- The easiest way to make this dough is in a food processor; if you don't have a processor, see "tips," below. Place the flours, sugar, and salt into the processor's work bowl, and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter pieces, Fiori, and peel, and process until the dough starts to come together in large clumps.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan, and score it into 16 square pieces. A knife or a baker's bench knife, dipped in water between cuts, works well here.
- Bake the shortbread for 30 to 35 minutes, until it's firm and golden brown.
- Remove the shortbread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a piece of parchment, or a clean work surface. Cut all the way through the score marks to make squares, and place the individual shortbreads on a rack to cool completely.
Yield: 16 shortbread squares.
For more recipes visit www.kingarthurflour.com
Tips from the bakers
- If you don't have a food processor, use room temperature butter and mix it with the Fiori. Add the remaining ingredients, mix until smooth, and proceed with the directions starting with step #4.